Keep these handy and use these on all of your actions to easily write to your local and national media outlets for extra volume and punch: (Media access databases)
http://www.gebbieinc.com/Weekly/nd.htm (change ND to your state abbrev)
http://www.kidon.nl/media-link/nederlands/x-us-nd.php3 (change ND to your state abbrev)
Keep these handy as well to reach your Congressmen: The Capitol switchboard number is 202-224-3121 (toll-free at 800-839-5276). www.senate.gov, www.house.gov ____________________________________________________________________________
1. URGENT!!! Vote is scheduled for Thursday 2/10/5 PLEASE do this one now even if it is past that date, since the bill goes through more stages...
Section 102 of H.R. 418 (the "REAL ID Act of 2005") that would empower the secretary of homeland security to waive any federal laws, without limit!!!!
Please immediately sign this petition and feel free to reword it. I think the danger is much greater than just in environmental laws. We stand to lose ALL citizen voice here.
Then call your Sentors and Representative and tell them you are categorically opposed to this bill and to any other bill that allows ANY agency such power.
The Capitol switchboard number is 202-224-3121 (or toll-free at 800-839-5276).
Please also forward this message to your friends and co-workers and urge them
to contact their representatives as well.
2. Big First step for National Election Reform!
Action Needed on VIVA 2005- ABOSULUTELY MUST DO! This will be part 1 of election insurance against fraudulent counting of votes
AL, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MN, MS, MO, MT, NB, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, and WY
If you are a resident of one of these states, you are in a special position to get this bill passed. Number 1 is to pretend you are not desperate for it, but support it firmly so you do not scare off the Congressman. Make NO mention of "stolen or fraudulent" elections. We are trying to enlist Republican Senators to co-sponsor the VIVA 2005 bill as opposed to other competing bills, because it is clearer and more to the point to force paper-backed voting everywhere in the nation. The wording of this bill is consistent with migration to ONLY paper ballots later on, whereas competing bills introduce yet more software and therefore more ways to steal an election.
Supporters of the Voting Integrity and Verification Act (VIVA 2005) report success getting sponsors for legislation that would mandate paper ballots. If you live in a state with a Republican Senator or two, please call them, and ask them to cosponsor VIVA 2005. The Capitol Switchboard number is (202) 224-3121, and is open Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. Here are the states: AL, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MN, MS, MO, MT, NB, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, and WY.
Senator Ensign is a Republican, who was a leading member of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee that produced HAVA. The reason he introduced this bill last year (when it was numbered S. 2437, though a new number will be issued when it's reintroduced this year) was that he wants to fix the misinterpretation of HAVA that has led to the purchasing of touch-screen voting machines without a voter-verified paper ballot. The goal is to obtain 25 Republican cosponsors for the bill's introduction, to give it the best chance of moving rapidly through the Rules and Administration Committee. Tell the Democrats that you are very disappointed by the Dodd bill, which is totally unacceptable. Ask them to support (but not co-sponsor) the Ensign bill.
If you've never called a Senator's office, don't worry. The people in their offices are very friendly and courteous. A great talking point for Republican offices has been to let them know that a recount and an election challenge was filed in Nevada. The Secretary of State conducted a random audit of 64,000 paper ballots, comparing them to the electronic record of that ballot. That audit showed 100% consistency between the paper and electronic records. But requiring a paper ballot will silence complaints about verifiability- which were numerous.
PLEASE CONTACT THESE SENATORS NOW!
Thank you for your help!
Click here for text of the Ensign Bill
( http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.2437: )
Click here for an analysis of the Ensign Bill prepared for VerifiedVoting.org
( http://www.ballotintegrity.org/WhyVIVA2005.pdf )
Click here for the full text of the Dodd Bill
( http://www.ballotintegrity.org/DoddBillS17.pdf )
Click here for an analysis of the Dodd Bill prepared for VerifiedVoting.org
( http://www.ballotintegrity.org/AnalysisofS17.pdf )
3. Repubs are claiming that Bush has support for privatizing Social Security.
Please vote "No" on the poll at the end of this Forbes article and pass it on to Progressives.
4. Tort Reform: Another Bush “reform” to add to our sorrow and despair.
Bush and the GOP Congress want to lock consumers out of the courthouse by preventing most major class action lawsuits, a vital mechanism that prevents big corporations from defrauding consumers. Your action is needed NOW to stop or amend this radical legislation that will result in more market abuse and less accountability for unscrupulous companies. Learn more about this effort to take away your legal rights.
Feb. 7 - Defrauded consumers call for defeat of pro-business class action bill( http://www.citizen.org/hot_issues/issue.cfm?ID=988 )
Feb. 2 - Bush promotes corporate, anti-consumer agenda in State of the Union ( http://www.citizen.org/hot_issues/issue.cfm?ID=985 )
Feb. 2 - Ethics appointments are final blow to ethics in Congress ( http://www.citizen.org/hot_issues/issue.cfm?ID=986 )
and take action here! Contact your Senators
( http://action.citizen.org/pc/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=6889261 )
The Capitol switchboard number is 202-224-3121 (or toll-free at 800-839-5276).
Here is another easy one-click form to make your voice heard on tort reform. Tell your representatives to oppose this "Tort Reform" bill. It is an erosion of your rights as a citizen.
5. Environmental petitions: http://www.nwf.org/action/
6. Statement of Conscience against war and repression: at http://www.nion.us
Not in our name webpage: www.notinourname.net Listings of abuses by our government
Not in Our Name
NO War on the World - End the Occupation
NO Police State Restrictions - Defend Civil Liberties
NO Detentions and Roundups - Stop Attacks on Immigrants
7. Sign the Freedom from the Draft & Illegal War Petition, then read about rights we're supposed to have.
8. Defend our heroic Senator Harry Reid for speaking out against Republican abuses. Fight the GOP attempt to destroy his career: Losing any last shred of dignity, Republicans are again playing their tired old game of trying to demonize--in their words "Daschle-ize"--anyone who disagrees with them. This time they are calling newly elected Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid names just for taking principled stands against the administration's most extreme positions. Please sign the petition and then call and thank him. The Capitol switchboard number is 202-224-3121 (or toll-free at 800-839-5276).
9. Did you know that the major automakers are suing the state of California to try and block recently passed clean air regulations? Tell Automakers: Stop Suing and Start Making Clean Cars
10. Help our Veterans spread the truth about Iraq. Invite them to address your college: http://www.optruth.org/main.cfm?actionId=globalShowStaticContent&screenKey=cmpCollegeTour&lnav=1
Watch their TV ad:
Windows ( http://220.127.116.11/NotThere.wmv )
Quicktime ( http://images.optruth.org/NotThere.mov )
Donate ( http://www.optruth.org/main.cfm?actionId=globalShowStaticContent&screenKey=userContributionPayOptions2&lnav=5 ) to get it on the air!
11. Urge your representative to help keep inadequately treated sewage out of our waters Unreal! We ARE turning into a third-world country- helped by the lovely lot of corrupt or inept Bush nominees to positions that should be protecting U.S. citizens. Protest this incredible proposal by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to allow sewage into our waterways!
and while you’re at it, you may want to use details from the following link to compose an opinion letter to your local newspaper or demand your local TV or Public Television to have a discussion about it. Tell them you want honest reporting stating who created the proposal and that it is being protested by 64 Congressmen! http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/nj06_pallone/pr_jan13_epa.html
Sign these other protest letters while you’re at it. Just follow the link:
12. Sign these other petitions to turn back assaults on the environment: http://www.nrdc.org/action/default.asp The Capitol switchboard number is 202-224-3121 (or toll-free at 800-839-5276). Call and send a letter to your Representatives.
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
or at http://egroups.com/l/impeach-bush to choose Daily Digest